Sunday, June 19, 2011

father's day

years ago, i posted a pretty heart-on-your-sleeve post about the emotions stirred up in me on father's day.   but today, i rejoiced and praised God...for the first time, i did not dwell on my earthly father this father's day.  to be honest, he didn't even cross my mind until we were in church.  that may sound sad and even a bit bitter, but the truth is, that God has done and is doing a work in me.  for the first time, father's day was first and foremost about justin, and the father he is to our children.  and i was resting in the Lord, my heavenly Father, and looking to Him this morning as we sang in church.  so i'm rejoicing that the Lord is renewing my mind.  when i was in college, i went through quite a bit of excellent Christian counseling to work through things with my parents' divorces and my relationship with my father. i remember wishing the raw emotions would just disappear and fade away.  the Lord is working that all out and i am grateful.  i will still call my father today and he still holds a special place in my heart.  but i am thankful for my Lord, my husband and my family, and how the Lord is changing the focus of my heart.  what a blessing to have a joyful father's day and not have the sad tug on my heart.  thank you Father.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Praise God! Love you Shana- thanks for your transparency on here! Also, the nail painting photos are so much better with your commentary on the blog- not nearly as entertaining on Facebook.